7/19/2005

Only 3 Days Left

I cannot believe it. I just counted how many days till I leave for Mexico and it is ONLY 3. It seems like forever ago that I found out that I was on the team that would be traveling to Mexico and here it is 3 days away. Last night we had our packing party at the church, where we packed all of the donations that we will be taking with us. It was so great to see a room full of students and parents getting ready for this trip.

Before we started packing the donations we had a cookout. I was sitting at a table with some adult leaders and some students and their parents eating away. As I was sitting there I overheard part of a conversation between a student and their parent and the way the parent talked to the student just rubbed me the wrong way. I found myself sitting there thinking how hard it must be for that student and then wondering will I ever talk to my children that way? My plan is to always treat my children with dignity and respect, but then you wonder maybe this parent had the same plan 10 years ago. What happened, what went wrong, how is life for them, what are their struggles? These are just a few of the questions I running through my head about this parent.

I may never know everything that these students are struggling with, but I do know that I cannot wait to have a full week to pour into the lives of these high school students. I also cannot wait to pour into the lives of the children that we will be working with in Mexico. I am SO excited, I cannot wait!

I do have to admit that I have a lot to do before I go. I am trying to get everything pretty much done before Friday so that we can have a family day before mom leaves for a week. The next few days may be crazy but I know it will all be worth it in the end.