10/14/2005

Krispus Kremus Rediculus

I love Krispy Kreme doughnuts just like the next guy. And every time I've gone there I've experienced this surreal atmosphere where there are more employees than humanly necessary, everyone is smiling from ear to ear and there is the sensual aroma of icing and coffee in the air...

Unfortunately this picture I had of the doughnut shop was blown way out of the water this morning at 5:45 a.m. when I rushed in to get 3 dozen doughnuts and a coffee box for the training I was putting on at work.

It started when I realized the Hot / Now light was not on. Next I realized there were only three or four employees behind the counter. Then I noticed there were no doughnuts rolling off the line. But I continued on and placed my order for three dozen doughnuts (2 original and 1 with the chocolate glaze). It took them a good 15 minutes to complete my order since the doughnuts they gave me came off a covered rack somewhere in the back of the store. All this without a single smile...

Frustrated, I took my doughnuts and coffee and sped on to work - only to find out after the training that the attendees had to choose from one dozen original, one dozen blueberry and one dozen pumpkin spice!

Needless to say, I will still frequent the "Double K" but it will be during regular business hours only. Also, I will be sure to make eye contact with each and every doughnut placed in the box...