3/26/2006

Dual Dell's and an Engagement Ring

I've been connected to my Dell Latitude D610 (left) for the past year or so and I have nothing but positive to say about it. So it stands to reason that if I were to buy another notebook for say my wife - that I'd probably choose the same one right?

Wrong...

Actually, I did stick with Dell since they have shown over the years to be one of the most reliable and advanced computer companies in this modern era. But I chose one of their new home notebooks, the Inspiron E1505 (right), because it had the 15.4" WSXGA screen, was fairly light and could be customized to our needs for less than $1400.00 - seriously! I'm talking Windows XP Pro, 1.80MHz Core Duo processor, 1GB RAM, larger 9-cell battery that gets you close to 6 hrs when new..., 60GB hard drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, multi-format storage card reader, and DVD Rom/CD burner.

I must say I'm a bit jealous, but then again it's in my house so if I ever need a fix, I can just go fire it up and delete some of Tammy personal files...

[Add romantic self-disclosure here...]

A pretty cool thing happened while I was making this purchase. I was looking at the different companies and the notebooks each offered, trying to find the best technology for the best value and just weighing all the options. When suddenly I was transported back in time.

There I was out in the big city of South Bend, IN looking for a diamond (yes for Tammy...). I was learning all about color, cut, carat and clarity. I was weighing all the options, placing orders, watching it all come together and keeping the whole thing a secret - hoping that it would be the perfect engagement ring - capable of momentarily blinding her and disorienting her so that she'd consider spending the rest of her life with me.

And I got a twinge of that when buying the computer. I was excited. I was spending time, energy and money on the woman of my dreams. When it finally arrived her response was not quite as dramatic as it was when I proposed, but she had that gleam in her eye that says, "Ya, I still think you're pretty cool..."