1/01/2006

e|"dis"Harmony

So is it just me, or does eHarmony.com just rub you the wrong way? I mean really! Here is (supposedly) how it works:

You fill out a questionnaire (Personality Profile) that identifies the 29 Key Dimensions of Compatibility.

Once that is completed, your profile is matched to those closely matching yours and amazingly enough - you should have met your lifelong partner!

Here it is in their own words:
It is Possible to Find your Soul Mate...
Isn't it time you experienced the joy of falling in love with someone who sees you, loves you, and accepts you for who you are? This is the kind of joy that comes from true compatibility. And true compatibility is what forms the basis for every relationship at eHarmony.
See what I'm getting at? No? Then let me get to the point: Opposites attract!!!

Hasn't this been the suggested course of action for as long as we can remember? And the last time I checked it was true! Most relationships I see working are those where God is the Head of Household (HOH for those Big Brother addicts out there...) and where one spouse compliments the other in areas of deficiency. In other words they are opposite in a lot of areas!!!

So what do you think? Am I totally off my rocker here? Am I missing something? Does the eHarmony mainframe account for this apparent "glitch" in the compatibility system? My assumption is, "No!" It appears to me that eHarmony feels compatibility is to be attained on all levels and held sacred. And if this is true, I fear there are millions of people being set up for failure!

In fact, we may look back on this little experiment and see the divorce rate keeping pace with new eHarmony applications...