1/15/2006

Let's Make a Deal

As many of you know Allison has sucked her fingers since I can remember. I remember as a baby trying to get her to use a pacifier and she would have nothing to do with it and I could never understand why until she found her fingers. So she has sucked her pinky and ring finger on her left hand for probably 5 years. In the last few months I have been talking with her about not sucking her fingers anymore and she will say okay I won't do it, but then she gets tired or gets sad about something and in they go. I even tried the whole you can have a toy if you stop sucking them and again the same thing. It would last about 2 hours and it was done.
Then on Friday she comes to me and says "mom, I'm not going to suck my fingers anymore". I thought okay and then she proceeded to ask how many days she had to go without sucking her fingers in order to get a toy. I told her she had to go 10 days and then when those 10 days were up she could pick out a toy. She jumped right on that and asked to make a calendar, which she made on her own. She took a picture she had colored and drew 10 boxes on it. The whole time she is doing this I am thinking okay this will last for about 2 hours and it will be all over. Well believe it or not it has now been 2 full days and the fingers have not gone in the mouth at all. We have even had some moments where it would have been prime finger sucking moments before, but she has restrained.
I think we may have struck a deal, now I hope we can afford the toy she wants.