1/23/2006

"Mainlining" Ministry

main·lin·ing (slang) To inject (a drug, such as heroin) directly into a major vein. To inject a drug intravenously.

Now that we've have had our dictionary lesson for the day, allow me to explain.

Those of you that know me well, know that this year got off to a rocky start at work. In fact, ever since the middle of December things have been slipping and sliding out of control. Just when things start to look up, you better look down because the cliff is right in front of you.

So how do most people handle times like these? Anxiety? Depression? Anger? Drugs/Alcohol? All of the above?

Obviously, these reactions accomplish nothing. And I do a fairly good job avoiding them, though the struggle is still there. But lately I have found another defense mechanism. A little tool focombatingng the ills of this world. It's called ministry. And I can't tell you how calming and reassuring it is to spend time doing something you love while at the same time making it easier for people to "experience" the gospel.

For the past few years I have been part of the Web Communications team at Granger Community Church. And for the past few months I have been involved in projects that are as fun as they are educational for me. The first project involves harnessing the power of RSS technology (look forward to some cool things on the GCCwired.com website in the near future).

And the second project is that of developing flash movies for use on the website. I have used this product since it was Macromedia Flash 4 believe it or not! And the recent deployment (Macromedia Flash 8) has only increased my love for the product and the possibilities that exist therein.

[Aside from the most important things in my life - God/Wife/Family/Friends]

Doing ministry has kept me afloat when everything else around me is up in the air, crashing or on some level falling apart.

I truly believe God uses ministry opportunities to grow us up. And this is definitely true in my case. I'm mainlining ministry and I'm not getting help for it!