11/22/2005

A Weekend Away

As I told you in the last post, Daryl and I got out of dodge for the weekend for his birthday. It was a surprise, he didn't know until Friday night, and even then I did not tell him where we were going. We dropped the kids off at Grandma and Grandpa McMullens house on Saturday afternoon and then headed to Holland, MI. When I was planning this weekend I knew that I wanted a weekend with no agenda. I just wanted to be able to sleep in, hang out and have nothing that we had to do. I just wanted us to be able to spend time as husband and wife instead of dad and mom.

Our weekend basically consisted of checking into the hotel, taking a nap, seeing the new Harry Potter movie, going to dinner, relaxing in a whirlpool right in our room, sleeping in, going to breakfast, and doing some shopping. There were a few other things thrown in here and there but I won't be sharing those details. It was so nice to just hang out and reconnect with each other without distraction. There is just something to be said about getting away with your spouse every now and then without kids. Actually I think it is a must in order to keep a marriage strong. Daryl and I have tried since we got married to keep God first in our lives, to put our marriage before our kids, and to put our family before work and other outside activities.

Thanks for the great weekend Daryl. I cannot wait till our next get out of dodge weekend.