11/28/2005

Are You Monogamous?

Not in the marital sense of the word - I'm talking about your software. Do you stick with programs that work, or do you "sleep around" with every new software package that comes along?

I only pose the question because I am in a very difficult position. I would say I am monogamous when it comes to the program I use for email. Microsoft Outlook does what I need it to do, it's user-friendly and it interfaces well with everything else I do. So you can imagine my complete horror when my employer was bought out by a corporation still using Lotus Notes.

Needless to say it is the most archaic piece of software I am currently "forced" to use. It took forever to learn, is NOT user-friendly and is not even compatible with some of the more advanced technology in use today. They keep telling us we will be "upgraded" to Outlook in the near future but next week is not soon enough for me...

Of course that brings up the whole Internet Explorer vs. Firefox debate. I'd have to say I'm not so monogamous with my browsers. So I "get around" when surfing. It's not all bad. As a developer you don't have much choice in the matter, but for personal browsing I'd say I am 60% IE and 40% Firefox. IE is the standby, but boy does Firefox have some great extensions for developers. I even have a link in the IE right-click menu that says, "View this Page in Firefox" if that tells you anything...