8/03/2005

Mexico | Day 2

I know I know, I said I would do Day 2 yesterday, but I was with family and friends last night talking about the trip and then today when I did try to post I messed something up and lost everything I had written. I will say I am still trying to process everything I experienced that week. All I know is that I am trying to stay focused on Christ and follow his promptings no matter what. So with that said Day 2.

Sunday, July 24- We got up this morning and had breakfast, then quiet time and off to small group time. There were 5 total people in my small group-myself, one other leader and 3 students. I really enjoyed small group during the week and really got to know the others in my group. After small group it was off to church. The church service was 2 hours long and was entirely in Spanish. The message was being translated through headphones that we wore. My favorite thing about church was the worship. The songs they sang are songs we sing at church and there were moments when I could hear those around me singing the song in English while the worship band was singing in Spanish. It truly gave you a glimpse of what Heaven might be like one day!

This is a picture of all of us in front of the church.

After church it was off to Douglas, one of the children's homes. We call them orphanages here. We got there and brought in pizza for the kids, they rarely get pizza so it was a treat for them. After lunch we cleaned up a bit and then I headed outside to get to work. I worked the rest of the afternoon with Debbie and Corey Mann filling in concrete blocks that would be the outside of a sports court.

This was one of the days where it rained pretty good, but I managed to stay pretty dry. I have to admit it was kind of nice when it was cloudy because it kept it from getting too hot. After finishing our work at Douglas we headed back to where we stayed and had dinner, showers, worship and then some free time with the rest of the team.

This was a great day! I had so much fun meeting the kids at Douglas. I feel in love with this little girl named Pamela. She was way too cute. I found out later that she was actually the daughter of the family who lived there with the kids. It was also a ton of fun to work with Debbie and Corey and I found out I love cement work!!!!